* I went to Rikers Island for the first time today. One of the signs posted on the road as you enter encourages you to "enjoy your tour!" complete with a vintage smiley face. I don't think I have the words to adequately describe my visit or the impact of our whole prison industrial complex or what it means when we warehouse people, so I'm just going to drop this article here and say you should really, really read it.
* I found this to be an interesting read. I felt motivated and inspired after reading it. (Thanks to Jocelyn for sharing it with me!)
* This story about people renovating troglodyte homes in France is kind of amazing.
* Lena Dunham (really) is giving the best advice.
* These maps are interesting (and the third one is absolutely not surprising if you're familiar with the West Wing's Big Block of Cheese Day).
* How to make your own instant Cup of Noodles: genius, and so Brooklyn.
* Yom Kippur is this week, so there will be fasting, but there should also be giving. Growing up, we would always bring a big bag of non-perishable food items to the synagogue to donate to a food pantry - the idea being, I guess, that the food we didn't eat while we fasted wouldn't go to waste but instead to someone in need. In that spirit, I'm donating to City Harvest, which does some really amazing work rescuing food and making sure it gets to the people who need it.
That's all for now. Hope you're having a good week!