An executive order has temporarily halted the separation of children from their families at the border, by instead proposing to keep families together in detention centers. Meanwhile, there are no plans for reuniting the thousands of children who have already been separated.
1. Call your representatives in Congress: contactingcongress.org. Demand they take action to keep families together.
2. Find a protest in your area for June 30 and go: www.familiesbelongtogether.org.
3. Donate: The Florence Project (firrp.org); Kids in Need of Defense (https://supportkind.org/about); RAICES Texas (https://www.raicestexas.org); The Texas Civil Rights Project (https://texascivilrightsproject.org/keepfamiliestogether-volunteer/).
4. Make a card as part of the Comfort Campaign - a handwritten letter of welcome and comfort for children in immigrant youth shelters, and send by July 4th to The Comfort Campaign, 4470 West Sunset Boulevard, Box 217, LA, CA 90027.
5. Sign the National Domestic Workers' Alliance petition to the Trump administration, demanding that they stop holding children and families in cages: https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/kids-are-still-in-cages?source=FBTsite622.
Eating, working, mothering and adventuring in Brooklyn and beyond.