- 3 ears of corn
- One pint grape tomatoes
- One half red onion
- One scallion
- One 15 ounce can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- One avocado
- One lime
- One big handful of fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup plus one tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- One clove garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- One jalapeno, seeds removed and finely chopped
- Half a cup of queso fresco, cubed
While your corn cools, assemble the rest of your ingredients: halve the tomatoes, chop the onion, scallion and cilantro, mince the garlic, scoop out the avocado. If the avocado is very soft, you can just mash it in; if your avocado is firmer, you'll want to cut it up into bite-sized chunks. If using jalapeno and/or queso fresco, chop that up and add it to the mix too.
And that's it! Now you have a giant bowl of a big fresh salad that has become one of my go-to's for rounding out a summer meal, packing plenty of flavor and hearty without weighing you down.